Thursday, July 31, 2008

Feels Good to Be Back in Texas

Our final day of heavy driving started off bright and early at 630. Although that was just me while all the other guys laid around in the beds. We got out of Jason’s second cousin’s house by 720 to find McDonalds for the last time. Not to mention there wasn’t much of a choice. We made good time by stopping in Texarkana for lunch. We tried looking for a Subway on the GPS but it could not find its location. But we headed down the road a little bit to find a Whataburger. It tasted extremely good after not having a burger like that for a while. We made our way to Denton where Jason had to sign his lease for his apartment for next year. That kind of slowed us down because of the rush hour traffic we hit in Dallas. We made it to my Aunt Kim’s house by 530 or so to receive our first Mexican food meal in forever. We swallowed that up quickly and made our way over to the Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.

 

Jason’s Stadium Review:  

The Rangers Ballpark in Arlington was a very nice ballpark. Probably built very recently, and it shows. I could definitely tell that I was in Texas again. Not too many people showed up to the game, but that’s okay because I felt at home still being a half-Rangers fan. The Jumbotron had a stupid setting at the highest point of the stadium, where a good 4000 people could not see it. The seating was very nice and comfortable and the gigantic Starbucks cup in left-center field made me want a frappucinno. That’s really all I have about this stadium. It’s a nice home away from home, when I can’t see my Astros. I can come and support my Rangers.

 It’s been fun. I hope you enjoyed it and maybe I will do my own on the next trip. Adieu.

 

Kyle’s Souvenir of the Game: I can honestly say that there was no true item of the game. I think we were either out of money or all of us got something different or unique that we all collect. Gray got the helmet sundae, Jason collected his usual shotglass, Josh purchased his usual scorecard and a deck of cards, and I got a collector’s pin. So overall it was a mixture of things.

 

We met up with one of our old youth pastors that moved up here to this area, Ben Davis. He brought his wife Missy and son Jackson along, and boy was he a lot of fun. Our seats were on the front row of the upper deck home run porch so to speak. We couldn’t see the video board or really understand the announcer but I think we just wanted to take a break from all of that and just watch the game. The Rangers ended up losing 8-5 but had to come back in the bottom of the ninth. We came back to my aunt’s house and settled down for the night. We make our final trip back home and 3 of us are going to complete the trip with another hometown Astros game and collect our Lance Berkman bobbleheads. Finally get to sleep in our own beds tomorrow.

1 comment: